View Single Post
07-07-17, 03:41 AM   #11
lightspark
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by SushiAce View Post
I really have to agree with you. Whilst certain game mechanics have evolved, they just kept the 12+ year old UI and tucked new things on to it. The team involved with the UI/UX must be really small and is just maintaining the old thing and only makes changes to protect certain functions or to make some parts more moddable - I mean in the end it's people like you, who make really amazing AddOns, that are using fresh ideas and assets to make some old parts of the game exiting again (Immersion) or even open up new ways of playing the game (ConsolePort), so from a company pov they have somewhat outsourced their UI/UX departement to their users, which pay them, not the other way around.

ls:UI from lightspark could be the closest approach to make the classic UI more modern - with or without the recent update to include more traditional unitframes. And it is amazing, but I'd like to build something like that on my own since I really enjoy the journey from a mockup or an idea to the "finished" product.

Also: I really, REALLY love your Addons MunkDev Whilst I hadn't have that much time to incorporate ConsolePort, I certainly use Immersion every time I build a UI - no matter the style
TY But I have a lot more to do T_T

As for Blizz UI UX, TBQH, I don't think that default UI is THAT out of date, it's kinda optimised for kb+mouse users and clickers in particular. It defo doesn't work for controller users, hence MunkDev's remarks about micromenu and other things.

My biggest gripe w/ default UI is inconsistency in their design decisions: shapes, transitions, style of UI elements. Some of newer additions to their UI are made in so-called "flat" style (nameplates, although it's halfassed flat style), others rock classic RPG-ish theme. Some elements fade/slide in and out, others are just shown and hidden instantaneously, etc.

These things are REALLY bad/sad/annoying.

But yeah, creating your own UI for any product (WoW, your own game, someone else's project, etc) is an awesome journey.

-- edit #1

As for your question in the title: "how to stay happy w/ your UI", just do what you want. It's your own project, it's a hobby, don't let others to dictate what you have to add/remove, suggestions are fine and welcome, demands are not. If your UI is a publicly available project, learn to say no, it's really important and will help you a lot

Last edited by lightspark : 07-07-17 at 04:11 AM.