View Single Post
06-07-05, 10:23 AM   #4
diiverr
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Gello
I think texture size is mostly irrelevant. I notice that it's cached but not a permanent cache and independent of the garbage collection.

I don't follow the first part, but are you referencing already existing frames? Or does the xml file in your mod have 100s of frames?

The xml in my mod has 100's of frames. Well, probably not hundreds plural, but it does have over 100. Granted, they are likely rarely all visible during game play, but concievably its possible. Typically, the bulk, probably the majority, would be hidden during configuration.

With a re-write, I could reduce this dramatically. Basically one frame per element, with one texture reference, that could be changed (probably with a slider) by the user.

Originally Posted by Beladona
My suggestion is, use as few functions as you can to get by. if you have several functions in two or three addon "modules" that basically do the same thing, think about creating a single global common file, and have each module reference one function instead.

Any frame element that has a name uses a script reference, and as a result, a table that goes along with it (describing details about that element). The more you have that are named, the more load you put on system memory and AddOn memory.
If I read the quotes referenced by slouken correctly, come 1.6, all frames will be stored in memory? So even if I could get by without naming them (which I can't currently anyway), this would ultimately be moot anyway?

As per using fewer functions, this I think I can do with what I have in mind, at least for the bulk of the applications. Considering the functions are only called during set up for the most part, and not during actual game-play, I don't think this should be too much of an issue.

Thank you for the responses folks. I think I did have a pretty good handle on the texture size impact, although i didn't realize its significance was a small as I had anticipated. I did not realize the basic scripting of the AddOn could have that large of an impact however. I do have Titan, and his latest memory upgrade. With a "loaded" interface, including my AddOn, I didn't see anything I thought was too far out of the ordinary. That said, I will have to do some comparisons with out it, and without other AddOns, and then vs. what I can achieve using fewer frames.

It sounds like I can improve the impact DiivSkins has on system resources. I'll have to see what I can come up with.