View Single Post
10-08-07, 05:07 AM   #11
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Erurainon
I went to log in tonight and auto downloaded the 2.2 patch. After the download I got a message pop-up that said wow.exe could not be found. Now, if anyone recalls I initially had problems with seeing the Addons button because I'm using Vista. Is there something special I should be doing at patch time? Like moving my wow directory out of Game Files and back to Program Files? If this is the case, how do I protect my UI and addons folders from the new wtf folder that is sure to be placed in there by the patch? I've not had to mess with it in a while, so I forget the details...
Hi Erurainon. I can't help with the Vista side of things (shudder) but as far as your WTF folder is concerned, just keep your old one (or a copy - backups are guud!) and once you have finished the various jumping through hoops that Vista+WoW require (moving folders around), just copy your original WTF back over the top of the new one. WoW should automatically add in any missing information that the new patch might need over the last one.

The same applies for your Interface/Addons directory (where all your addons live) if you want to keep those somewhere safe during the various other directory "moves", except do not copy over the top of the Blizzard UI ones (i.e., don't copy over the addons starting with Blizzard_ from your old addons folder to the new one). If you do accidentally copy over the top of them, just delete them entirely from the new Interface/Addons folder, and WoW will recreate them all the next time you start it.

Oh, and make sure not to do any of those file copying and moving things while WoW is running, or it could go horribly wrong!

Hope thats of some help

Cheers
-- Cirk