View Single Post
04-15-09, 06:56 PM   #401
youHadMe@Virus
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by deke913 View Post

I will go back to the default interface before I ever set foot back at curse as I got a nasty virus there that shut me down for days. Screw them.
I was, until yesterday, unaware of any dispute regarding WowMatrix and Curse, and in fact completely unaware of the existence of this site itself. I'm frustrated and disappointed that WowMatrix no longer works, and not sure how to feel about the dispute, so I've been reading a number of sources trying to get the flavor of the argument. I still haven't made up my mind as to who's the greater evil here... but I think wowinterface just lost my (free) patronage forever (Curse has already lost me).

I had to close a popup advertisement to read the above post. When I did, the word virus had been underlined and turned green as an obvious hyperlink. I hovered over it to preview, and the link said, I swear to God:

Worth to see! Viruses at low prices. Compare online!

I don't believe in omens... but the irony is too much to bear.

Originally Posted by deke913 View Post
Heres to hoping you see that making a manager like WM should be top priority.
Amen.

And keep your advertising minimally obtrusive. Please.

If you want to consider yourself a business, even if the goal is not to make profit, then you must consider your customer (end user) first. Have you no customer service experience? You don't win by complaining about what the competition is doing, you win by providing something better than them.

People use WowMatrix because it is far superior to what you offer, at least in the minds of the uncounted masses who aren't going to read these forums or post here, let alone give a damn about your lost bandwith.

Come on, guys. Do your secret nerd power handshake, pop some popcorn and watch Pirates of Silicon Valley, roll 3d8, or whatever it takes to pump yourselves up, go out there and BEAT the competition. Your smarmy celebration that it's someone else QQing about WowMatrix instead of you won't last long.

Look, I work in an industry that has yet to figure out what it's going to do about networks losing advertising revenue (or at least advertisers losing effectiveness) due to DVR use. I'm not saying you guys are wrong (though the better arguments seem to be coming from the one-posters, and "/click da button" arguments aren't convincing to anyone who would choose to use WowMatrix), but two wrongs don't make a right. Though they do make a profit, usually.

Three notes:
First, you will never convince anybody that hasn't already bought in to your point of view that your timing wasn't carefully chosen to cause maximum drama. You were perfectly within your rights... just don't act like it was any less juvenile than it was.
Second, I don't remember where I read it in the haze of staying up too late reading hundreds of posts to threads, but one of the developers tried to accuse WowMatrix of inflicting users with "unnecessary" updates??? Please, try harder.
Third, I've just updated one of my three "essential" addons with WowMatrix. Game on!