View Single Post
04-16-09, 07:23 PM   #548
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by guice View Post
Sorry, then. I misspoke and meant newspapers attempts at online. They claim Google should be paying them. They claim people should pay for the news.
So reporters and news should be funded by the government? Yeah, they should be happy to do it for free? What exactly is it you're suggesting?

One news CEO even said all newspapers should go offline for 1 week just to prove to everybody how much they are needed. A bit overboard isn't it?
Maybe they should. Maybe it really would show how much news people and sources are under-appreciated. Sometimes the most effective way to get a point across is to show them the end result. Don't want to pay for my ball if you take a nail gun to it, damaging it to the point it needs to be replaced... I'm taking my ball home. Get your own ball.

Edit #3: After reading the article you linked, your point is taken a little better. The article points more to the fact the newspapers won't be missed/needed, though, which is not the point -I- took from your wording. Also, in my "maybe they should" above, to be more specific, I mean -all- newspapers, internet driven as well as paper.
It's what WoWI just did. ^_^
When? where?

Edit#2: They didn't take the site down, if they did, we wouldn't be having this conversation, here.

I've seen these arguments over and over again. The end result has always been the technology side winning. You can't block people. You can't force them to pay. The only thing you have control over are your own files/sites.
emphasis mine

That is exactly what they did, protect their site/files that people entrusted them to protect. You are looking at this website as just that... a run of the mill website. I can assure you from my personal experience it is much more than that. If you hang around long enough, you'll see this. As will any of the other WM proponents, if they choose to participate and not just bring unfounded opinions or attacks.

BTW, I've had two posts deleted in this very thread, so they are stopping both sides from the attacks, not just those that oppose them. I'm sorry I made them have to delete my posts, by myself bringing in personal attacks, even if they were general in direction.

I like you, you make me think, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with you .

Edit: I said "If you hang around long enough", to someone with a 2005 join date. This isn't meant to be insulting, but I'm really surprised that you think of this site in such a generic manner.

Last edited by Yhor : 04-16-09 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Clarification x3