View Single Post
04-17-09, 06:08 PM   #560
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
At this point, knowing only what's included in your description, I'm inclined to side with NYT on this one. If Google is taking content that NYT produced, and did not release under the CC or something similar, reproducing it elsewhere is a clear violation of copyright, and the problem lies solely with Google. (If I've screwed up a basic detail here, feel free to correct me)
My description actually contained a link to a post containing the actual information of the release as well as plenty of backstory on the issue.
In the end, I'm siding with Google here. But it is indeed a detailed backstory. I've read and followed TechDirt for several years. So, naturally, my mindset is a slanted in favor of what TechDirt thinks. What can I say? Since day one, I've agreed with them. I couldn't help but follow and agree with a good 95% of what they said (I, personally, have had very few disagreements, but there have been a few).

Everything I've mentioned here, the thought process and mind set, has been in result of what I've learned from TechDirt. "Morality" arguments have been all expunged. I now look at things in the mind set of "logical business decision" than "legally (or morally) right."

As we've seen to be beating a dead horse, I, like many others have seen, will be laying this to rest. I hope to see new ideas and new process in the coming months from WoWI. In the mean time, I may need to install Proxomitron to get around the WM block. *grin*
*Or not. I can't believe it.; You've implemented CAPTCHA. Now that is quite the extreme route. I kinda hinted that above. A reason for implementing captcha - insure you're human. But captcha is also a massive turn-off for anonymous downloads (it falls in line of requiring registration). I didn't think you'd take that route. Interesting measures.

I have to say, the more I dissect WM, the more I dislike it. It seems a connection to their server, speednoc.com, is absolutely necessary. WM says "Offline" even though its clearly getting data from the server from my requests. It's like it's ignoring the returns it gets back from *my* requests and relying on their wdb.gz files for its information, even though it's clearly making an HTTP request call for each of my add-ons.
/sigh, and I thought I was going to be able to out-smart the blocks. The potential is definitely there, but the design of WM makes it improvable.

Last edited by guice : 04-17-09 at 07:20 PM.