View Single Post
04-18-09, 12:06 PM   #580
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Yes I know, you knew where the addons were coming from, and from time to time visited the site to view change logs, etc, but you have already demonstrated enough computer knowledge to set yourself apart from the average user. Whether you realize it or not, your average user simply loads up the program, reads the descriptions it provides, and click-click their done, many likely never even realizing it doesn't actually come from WoWM (yes I know WoWM declares on their page it doesn't come from them, but your average user does not read the FAQs). These friends their telling others about the site? They are telling them about WoWM not WoWI, and these friends almost always have the same usage pattern.
This slightly contradicts your earlier statement that WM has caused more support issues. If the average user is "never even realized it doesn't actually come from WoWM" then wouldn't support issues be trafficked through WM? Heck, maybe that's why the contact form has often fell on deaf ears? They get so many emails, they have problems finding legitimate emails.

Back on the subject of bandwidth theft - you can actually lay some blame with WoWI for having troubles setting up a system, initially, that allowed such services to exist or take advantage of the open access to the files. While I don't agree at all with locking up files, it is a potential route, and one they decided to take. However, I feel in the long term it's going to bite them back if they don't figure out a better system other than "lock them out." Once the WoWI add-on client is released, an API will have to be opened up to allow the client to work. Anybody with any bit of technical knowledge will be able to break it down and use that API to their advantage. In this instance, it's not a matter of "if the can" but "is it worth it." ShowEQ lasted years, break after break, attack after attack by SOE, purely on "its worth it (for EQ players)". EQ's technology just did not allow SOE to "fix it" -- all they could do is "block" (and they tried, sometimes tirelessly). WoW, however, solved the "ShowEQ problem" by using technology different. Seamless zones, dynamic loading/unloading gave WoW the edge that just made ShowEQ not worth it anymore (note -- I did say "not worth it" not "impossible" -- it could work, but only at a limited 100 yard range of your character -- not worth it anymore).

Okay, I rattled on long enough here. The point is what I brought up several pages ago; WoWI needs to take the approach of making it "not worth it" or to a point where this "bandwidth piracy" is not a problem or an tax on their servers.
WoWI Client could make it "not worth it" if it can one up the predecessors (not locked into 1 site; updates without trashing your add-ons; doesn't install its own add-ons for what ever purpose; user-friend [not ad friend] interface; and most important: simple).
However, I think just re-arranging the file structure may prove to be more beneficial in the long term. Make it so files aren't hosted directly on the WoWI site; provide an open API and let the community build the add-on clients (cause we already know they will). In a way, almost what WoWAces was -- the only reason it never really took off, imo, is lack of usability (the site) for the authors. The "Wiki" approach isn't the most user-friendly or author-friendly approach.

Last edited by guice : 04-18-09 at 12:12 PM.