View Single Post
08-28-08, 06:44 AM   #22
Thaoky
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by littlebuddha79 View Post
Possibly giving a 1-5 or 1-10 rating in several (but not too many) categories like: Author feedback, Timeliness of Updates, Ease of Use, Computer CPU/Memory Hogging, etc...
I agree with the concept, but only if it avoids some obvious pitfalls:

Author feedback: Sounds good, judging how well the author can provide feedback is interesting.
Timeliness of Updates: This one is subjective, during some periods, an author may be able to update his addons with cool new features twice a week.. then take a month or two before releasing somehing new, the addon isn't dead, but life has its load on all of us..

Ease of Use: Sounds good too.
Computer CPU/Memory Hogging: Too subjective too.. I don't want to start a debate about this, but everybody has his opinion on what a "bloated" addon is. Some people think that and addon that eats 5mb of memory is fine, some other find it bloated.. but if the addon manages a lot of data, then it's simply normal, and it's not necessarily poorly coded.

Each of these categories is just a prone to being manipulated as the current rating system.

All in all, I like the current system, and I find it nice to know how many times my addon has been downloaded. It's not a popularity contest, but it's cool to see why we're doing it. For instance, if I were to start a new project, and if only 20 people downloaded it.. then I'd probably stop it quickly. I think that at least authors should be able to have access to this info about their own addons. (same goes for favorites)

As for the best rating system, I don't know, really, maybe the best thing is simply to drop it completely, and to turn the site into more than a repository.

Promoting addons differently, and maybe more often could be nice. For instance, I could imagine that every week, one "big" addon could be introduced (like omen/x-perl/etc..) and a few smaller ones that answer a specific user need could be put in the spotlight.

Thanks for your efforts, no matter what you decide to go with