View Single Post
08-28-08, 07:41 PM   #26
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The trouble with ratings is a lot of mods can't realy be rated. Eitehr they work, or they don't. I have on mod that all it does is hide the duel frame. There is no ui, no options, no nothing. It's a 1 line LUA. It's one of my favorite mods because I think duels are just about the stupidest thing in WoW (and no, they are not good practice for PVP or Arenas). Never done them, never will. How do I rate that?

I tend to ignore ratings when I look for mods because some of the worst mods I've ever run have had very high ratings, and some of my favorite mods have had very low ratings.

My current addon (I wrote a few back before all the LUA changes but those are long gone) is very simple and really doesn't do much, but it has been very useful to me on several occasions, including today when I went to get the chicken egg in Westfall. binding the chicken emote to a key allowed me to spam that emote the 100 or so times it took to get the target chicken to like me.

But on the other hand, my addon is really just a slightly more convenient way of spamming emotes than making a macro. Would I rate it 5 stars? Well, for me it's that useful. Do I think it's worth the same rating as Cartographer? Well, no, not even close. Autobar? FuBar? No, those all make fundamental and drastic changes to the way I am able to play the game. I don't even think of them as the same class as little addon hacks like IgnoreDuel or EmoKey or AutoRez.

It's almost like there should be different classifications of addons. Hacks, addons, and Meta-addons. (Cartographer, Auctioneer, Bigwigs, etc would be Meta-Addons).