View Single Post
07-30-08, 01:11 PM   #267
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Charvel View Post
Well, I gave it a try last night and I really want to like it. I only got around to adding 3 addons other than nUI (Recount, Omen, Combuctor). I liked the simplicity of it and the load times were 10 times faster than loading Mazzle.

However, 2 things I didn't enjoy (maybe minor in some people's eyes but was a turnoff for me).

1) Setting up the button bars. Mazzle had a Auto button layout feature for each class that I extremely enjoyed. I have 2 70s and am leveling the other 7 classes so I play each class. What was helpful with the auto layout (and keybindings) was that I didn't have to spend 15 to 20 minutes per character arranging my spells and abilities. Mazzle set it up for each class as a default and then I could change if I want (which I usually didn't). Then as I leveled my other classes, for each new spell they learned I would simply Mazzify the button layout and bang, my spells were arranged nicely and orderly; including the new ones. Not sure how difficult this would be to do but I put in my vote for it. It's really sort of a 'nice to have'.
At some point I will offer an option to auto-populate the action bars... but I don't think I'll ever get too very heavy handed with it. That said, when I build the skinning system for nUI, I do intend to allow for creating pre-defined button layouts that nUI users can create and share. I think it's a much better way to approach the problem than to say "this is the right way to lay out a rogue's buttons" or whatever.

2) The chat frame. We all get our information from chatting and seeing things in chat. The chat frame is an integral part to the WoW experience for most people. However, by only having 2 frames I found myself having to create new panes and the /nui fontsize only appears to modify the General tab. Then when I had the frames setup decently, I realized that there was functionality that I used to have that wasn't there anymore. For instance, in Mazzle (using Prat) all the characters names were colored according to their class (as long as Prat had registered their name before) otherwise it showed up as gray until I did a /who or something to register their name. Also, there were other things like if someone typed the word Invite in chat it would be bracketed and highlighted and I could click on it to invite someone to my group if I wanted. Again, another 'nice to have' feature.
There are several changes in the works for the chat frame. For one, the Beta 2 will only manage the default chat frame and the combat log. You can create as many additional frames as you like and drag them where you like and nUI won't mess with them any more. In addition, the Beta 2 chat and info panels are just a tad (not a lot) bigger... I smidge wider and about a line and a half or so higher. Third, the combat log is going to be moved to the information panel on the right side of the dashboard so you can view chat and combat log at the same time. Finally, at some point down the road, nUI will have built in WIM functionality including multiple tabs for whispers, etc... but that's not high on the priority list.

I will also add options for chat time stamps and coloring by player or class, etc... but that's not going to be anytime soon. There are existing chat mods that do that, I am told, that work with nUI (I don't use any myself).

These suggestions aren't meant to belittle your UI in anyway (it's a great UI with a lot of potential), just merely suggestions. In fact, I like the UI so much that I want to try it out again tonight; maybe see if I can get Prat working with it or some other Chat mod to organize the panes better.
I don't mind at all... feedback is how the mod gets better.