View Single Post
03-28-11, 04:16 PM   #4
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Q: Will the Defualt UI ever be moveable and re-arrangeable without the use of mods? – Ruind (North America/ANZ)
A: We are taking baby steps in that direction. We already allow you to move the focus target, and in the 4.1 patch we will let you move your player frame (your health and resource bar) and your target frame as well. We also allow quite a bit of customization of size and position with the party and raid frames. If you consider what the screen looks like with every possible UI element turned on at once (including things like the durability dummy and Arena team frames) there is almost no space left to actually see the world. If we allow players to start moving every element around, it would be very easy to stack elements on top of each other and obscure information. More hardcore players probably understand this risk and how to fix things if they break the UI for themselves. The challenge for us is making sure that players who really shouldn’t be messing with their UI don’t stumble into it. If you aren’t in the game industry (or maybe even the software industry at large) you might think it’s as simple as burying the check box deep in the options or adding a big, red “I screwed up! Please reset me!” button. But we can assure you that it’s not.
I don't really understand this answer. UI lock/unlock & reset buttons (and maybe screen edge protection) seem easily implemented, and frame reposition functionality would pose little risk to "players who really shouldn’t be messing with their UI" provided there was an easily accessible "reset to default" feature. Am I missing something?