View Single Post
01-26-10, 05:44 PM   #9
Akryn
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Necroing this because I have a similar issue and can't seem to fix it. I have always had to boot into Windows to raid because WoW is unplayable under wine in anything above 5man groups. Recently I've been trying to figure out why, because that's a pain to do.

Just sitting outside doing nothing in Northrend I get 25-35 FPS with bare minimum settings, where in Windows I get >60 FPS with everything maxed (except shadows). I'm 99% sure the problem is CPU usage. WoW.exe only uses one core under wine and it's constantly running at 100%, max frequency. That's ALL the time, no matter what's going on in game. I've tried setting WoW's affinity cvar to use 2 or 4, and also schedtool with no affect. I've also tried switching between D3D and OpenGL, which also has no affect at all except that under OpenGL I can't enable "hardware cursor" which makes the framerate drop even more of a problem.

Just wondering if anyone has had any success getting WoW to use at least 2 cores under wine, or any thoughts on why it would use so much CPU even just idling inside an inn somewhere with no one around.