Thread: Carbonite Quest
View Single Post
02-15-08, 12:34 PM   #20
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Pester View Post
If he is in business to make money

Obviously he is, otherwise he would not have spent the serious bucks it costs to legally license an LLC. Depending on the state you live in, this can be extremely expensive. A lot of hoops to jump through for it not to mention the IRS obligations along with it. He also went through the hassle of making "Carbonite" a registered trademark. None of this is cheap.

I'm using the trial version and I must say that it's an above par addon, and I'll more than likely get a subscription because I feel that it's well worth it. I don't really know anything about the guy who created Carbonite, but perhaps he feels that this is his first foot in the door for a serious programming career later on. Everyone has to start somewhere, and what better way to begin than to have people actually pay for an addon that is used in one of the worlds largest MMO's? That'll be sweet on a resume! None of us have the right to say that he has no right to make an honest buck.

Hell, I date a programmer and programming has paid for his house, cars and everything else he owns. We grind quests just about every evening in WoW and I can't tell you how many times I've half assed joked about him creating addons for me, or making me a custom UI. He laughs and tells me he doesn't work for free lol. We shouldn't expect everyone in this community to do so either.