View Single Post
07-02-05, 08:12 PM   #38
mondoz
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by guice
Cause everybody doesn't have that luxury.
I think you missed my point. Anyone has the ability to go to the AH, and sell anything they have for any price. I could go sell 1 piece of linen cloth for 1000g if I wanted to. If gold was really worthless, and everybody had tons of it, then it would sell.

Inflation raises prices, there's no doubt about that one. It's been shown and proven many times fold in many games; SWG, EQ, Lineage, LineageII, etc.
Inflation in WoW would mean AH prices rise. Nothing else.
If I recall correctly, SWG had a much more player-dependant economy than WoW. You could only get items from other players, only be healed by other players, etc... That's not so in WoW.

Inflation breaks the economy in that your average users are no longer able to compete with. When you average user can't complete, things go downhill. The game gets ruined and no new comers will be able to catch on without some high level financial backend.
I don't understand. 'Average users can't compete.' Compete how?
Ruined how?
They can't go on quests? They can't get XP?

High prices on the AH mean that I can't go kill some mobs and get good gear?
High prices on the AH mean that I can't go kill some mobs and get items to sell on the AH at those same high prices?

Why would a newcomer have any problems? Even if they had tons of gold, they couldn't do much with it unless they played for a while and leveled up to the point where gold actually did anything.

Even when you have gold, what does it get you? Better gear? Okay. But is it the only source of that gear? No. Anyone can go out and get the same items that everyone else can. The best items can't be traded or sold.

Don't think that everybody had the luxury to run a bot on their computer while AFK, cause they don't. It's actually your rare users capable of doing that. If you can, you're one of them. Some here may be able to, but your average user does not visit these or blizzard's forums. We're only a very, very minute percentage of the full player base.
I don't understand much of that.
I think you're saying that most people can't run automated programs to farm items. I don't think anyone will disagree with you or debate you on that point.

My point is that in WoW, gold farmers would not 'ruin' the game as many have claimed it would. In other games perhaps, but not all games have the same economies, the same rules, the same mechanics, etc. I still haven't seen any convincing arguments that it would in WoW.