Thread: Trying to Learn
View Single Post
06-27-19, 10:00 PM   #7
Aeriez
A Fallenroot Satyr
Definitely have asked a few questions. Haven't gotten any responses yet. I'm going to assume that's because this forum is dead as I'm sure it's not because no one has a clue how to answer. What I meant by sloppy is there is absolutely no documentation or resources what-so-ever on the internet. You've got wowwiki with a lot of the API stuff, but it covers (seemingly) less than 1/10th of what there is in the API. Framestack is completely useless and doesn't give any information. It just seems like in order to learn Lua in WoW you have to datamine all of the information yourself. Which is just a bit mind blowing considering the popularity of the game. No one has written any tutorials on learning it? Really? Someone make one. You'll be filthy rich. lol.

As far as learning lua from lua.org, that's not really going to work. I understand the syntax of it already. It's the elements and WoW specific functions that I'm trying to learn. Which is seemingly a well-kept secret. How do you create HybridScrollFrames? No clue. There's no possible way to learn it. How do you hook into a specific frame that already exists in the WoW client? Not a clue, framestack just gives a random string of characters, not the actual name of the element. Been trying like hell for the last 3 weeks to learn. But the content to learn from is virtually non existent. Quite frustrating. Excuse the rant. I just hate running in circles to be told "look at the stuff you've already looked at that gives absolutely no information".

Last edited by Aeriez : 06-27-19 at 10:05 PM.