View Single Post
02-02-10, 06:44 AM   #4
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
And no, I'm not a programmer and cannot give you advices or start my own updater :P
Exactly.

You're not a programmer so hence have no experience in the amount of work a project like this requires.

Especially when you expect to build for multiple software platforms.

If using Java saves them from having to maintain seperate development branchs per major operating system then more power to them.

This would be the exact reason why the .Net framework was chosen by the Curse development team - instead of having to build all the code to draw a window with button they can instead say "Give me a window with these attributes with these buttons inside it"

My other point is all the work being done on MMO minion is volunteer work. I don't think it's very tactful to reject work that's been done for free out of someone's free time just because you can't install the software to use it.

Lastly I'ld like to point out I've never had a problem running Java on any of the computers I've encountered. I've used several Windows machines , Linux installs and OS X Macs. None of them had a problem running Java at all.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)