View Single Post
06-10-05, 04:27 PM   #26
diiverr
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Beladona
getting your bars to use vertical or horizontal textures is a another function to deal with entirely. I would get multiple bars working with this before you start throwing in re-orientation. It can be done easily enough, but might take some time to understand. That and I am leaving work in 20 minutes so don't have time to type anything up about it
Hehe, no problem. I'm one of those lucky few that has times, like now, where I can pseudo dork with this stuff while I am at work.

Nice touch with the frame ID. Somehow I knew about them, but I didn't even think about that.

When you say, "re-orientation" you really pique my interest. I hadn't considered the possiblity of selecting whether a bar could be displayed horizontally or vertically, but the functionality is certainly intuitive, and would reduce the "meat" of the AddOn considerably. It also opens up worlds of possibilities on how to handle other textures, such as the end-caps. It also might shed some light for me on how I could incorporate "hide" and "lock" features. I'll stop speculating at this point, and also stop getting too spooled up with how I'm going to layout my options screen(s) just yet.

I actually had another thought about the vertical bars. I'm not sure if it would work, but I think one could actually pull them off the same texture as the horizontal ones if the textcoords were re-directed to draw the image differently. I'll have to look at how textures are inverted again to be sure. If I'm tracking you, I don't think its really germane, but I'll try dorking around with it out of curiosity.

Another thing I want to try to do is incorporate bars that populate the opposite direction. This I don't think I can pull off with just textcoords, as a result of the "dead space" that is needed to keep the image from distorting as the bars get "shorter", so I think I would need to create a new texture for them. I guess I'm not really sure, but I'll play around with it when I'm horsing with replotting the bars for a vertical display.

Why does he want reverse populating bars?

Well, that actually brings up another question. With the current release of DiivSkins, I have been toying around with flexbar scripting and pseudo animation of textures. Think a pop-up flexbar menu, where you show/hide a button group on MouseEnter (or whatever Flexbar Event). Using simple /flexbar runscript :Show() and :Hide() commands I was able to mirror the action of my flexbutton pop-ups with their textural backgrounds. I was even able to selectively display two endcap images such that I had an expanding MainBar recreation that would dynamically update for me in-game. ( clicky for a visual )

Obviously, having a bar that populates right to left is handy when you are trying to create a flyout menu on the right side of the screen, and vice versa.

This isn't a sort of functionality I think is practical for direct integration into the DiivSkin mod per-se, but it does raise a question as to how I would execute this sort of behavior with this new system. I had originally thought I could call the variable data in a script to facilitate changes triggered by FlexEvents, but I don't know that this could be done with how the variables are now constructed?

In any event, it should still be feasible with conventional :SetTextCoord() type scripting, I was just looking for a slick way to keep it less verbose (oh the irony, I know ), as textcoord strings can get pretty long for a single script line in the flexbar application. The saved variable state isn't actually important, in so much as the action it executes in game.

Regardless, the managability of external manipulation is last on the list of wants for what we're doing here. Just a passing thought, please don't let it occupy any of your time. I'm just thinking aloud.

Criminy, sorry for the essay, LOL.