View Single Post
10-06-16, 08:04 PM   #15
Tinibree
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post

How can an individual hijack a Public Domain addon, preventing someone else to supercede their abrupt departure? This very important addon should not be held hostage by someone who cannot/will not endeavor to update it appropriately and in a timely manner.

Is there no one willing and capable to commit time and energy to keeping this historic, unique, and valuable addon alive? I can't even imagine playing WoW without a working Warehouse Module!

NOTE: My following comments are not related to the "Legion" expansion. They are related to only a few of the basic, core functions of the original Carbonite addon.

If nothing else, maybe some "Super-Guru" at programming can figure out better how to fix the problems with the CABONITE MAPS (Core Program). The "Fog of War" aspect is totally broken in the current Carbonite Maps, although it used to work years ago. Also, locating minerals/herbs is broken. They can't be viewed across zones and still cannot be "Routed" successfully even in their local areas (which is absurd). The game locks/freezes whenever trying to assign a route to them.

Carbonite PROFILES is STILL dangerous and a broken issue. It has never been fixed! These are just a few of the things which should be fixed.

I don't expect anyone to do anything about these issues. I'm only hoping that some kind-hearted, ethical person with friendly, literate communication skills will find joy in bringing joy to many other people.
This comment is the prime example of why Rhythal stepped down. This attitude is a big part of why. I don't care if you're the oldest living person on earth, that does not give you the right to be this entitled. I've been watching the forums and your posts for ages now, you need to stop. God. he's one guy that stood up when the creators said "We're done, sorry, best of luck." a FAN that took up the mantle to try and fix it. How would you feel if you decided to try and fix something for people and they responded like you do? Being old is not an excuse to be a dick. But let me go ahead and dissect this, I'm bored and want to type.

How can an individual hijack a Public Domain addon, preventing someone else to supercede their abrupt departure? This very important addon should not be held hostage by someone who cannot/will not endeavor to update it appropriately and in a timely manner.
I mean, do you not realize that's the only reason this things been updated since...like Cataclysm? I admit I don't remember exactly when the original people dropped it but its been at least a couple expansions. If he hadn't stepped up and uh... 'hijacked' this addon, it would be 400% broken. It would not run at all. You should be thanking him for what he has done, not shitting on him. It's not even kinda held hostage so I'm just laughing so hard at that. Rythal didn't want to make any full updates (uploaded to websites) until he had fixed the whole addon, which honestly I still find amazing, in a good way. He pretty much rewrote the whole thing you remember? God he said he's stepping down, not that he's going to delete it's entire existence.

If you want updates to be in a timely manner, how about you learn to code and fix it-oh? You don't want to? Then don't complain. Either learn and help, or just be kind and report bugs and be patient, those are your options. Getting mad at people that are trying to fix shit, just makes them want to drop it. There's a saying with my coding friends, when you fix one bug two more take its place. Coding isn't easy, stuff isn't just 'oh this will only take an hour, I just need the time for it' its 'i thought i could do this in 10 minutes but now its been 6 hours and its just more screwed up and I haven't slept and have to go to work still.'

Is there no one willing and capable to commit time and energy to keeping this historic, unique, and valuable addon alive? I can't even imagine playing WoW without a working Warehouse Module!
No one willing and capable-you mean, besides the at least 5 people who have stepped up? Or did you mean like Rythal himself who has spent a few years keeping this addon on its feet with people like you throwing shit at him the whole time?
P.S. There are other addons that do what warehouse does, better imo.
Why don't you learn to code to keep it alive-oh you don't want to? Don't complain.

NOTE: My following comments are not related to the "Legion" expansion. They are related to only a few of the basic, core functions of the original Carbonite addon.
You mean, the original addon that wouldn't run if you tried to install it now? That addon?

If nothing else, maybe some "Super-Guru" at programming can figure out better how to fix the problems with the CABONITE MAPS (Core Program). The "Fog of War" aspect is totally broken in the current Carbonite Maps, although it used to work years ago. Also, locating minerals/herbs is broken. They can't be viewed across zones and still cannot be "Routed" successfully even in their local areas (which is absurd). The game locks/freezes whenever trying to assign a route to them.

Carbonite PROFILES is STILL dangerous and a broken issue. It has never been fixed! These are just a few of the things which should be fixed.
EXCUSE ME? "If nothing else"? WHAT the hell is wrong with you. If you want a super-guru to fix this, find one and pay the-oh you don't want to? Don't expect people to just appear from thin air to fix an addon. Put forth the effort yourself or wait and be patient. I will give you all the broken stuff, this addon isn't perfect, but its working, which is more than we'd have if Rythal didn't step up to the plate, and I have been more than willing to wait for all the broken shit to be fixed, but that was minor to the addon as a whole working. I can find other addons to do that stuff in the meanwhile, there's only thousands of them out there!

I don't expect anyone to do anything about these issues. I'm only hoping that some kind-hearted, ethical person with friendly, literate communication skills will find joy in bringing joy to many other people.
You mean, the exact opposite of yourself? Someone more like Rythal, perhaps? A kind-hearted person that took up the mantle to try and fix this, instead of fixing it and keeping the fixes for himself, so he didn't have to troubleshoot issues he wasn't having? What the hell about Rythal isn't ethical? LOL You are a riot my good sir. He did have joy in fixing this addon for other people, until it became nothing but work, until people like you were bitching about everything he wasn't doing.

You claim your issue is lack of communication but he's been communicating. Do you want him to outline every line of code he's changed and why? Would that be enough communication? He's been saying things like "I fixed this, tried to fix that, and didn't get started on that." and tackled issues he wasn't having, trying to find out what was wrong when many people were having issues that made the game almost unplayable. I'm sorry it wasn't "I fixed everything guys! Will push the update to curse when I wake up, I'm dead tired and can't think!" which is clearly what you wanted from him. You've long since crossed the line of trying to be helpful pointing out things that might've fallen through the cracks, into being entitled to fixes to what you want, when you want.

TL;DR Stop being so entitled and either learn to code and help, or sit back and be patient and polite.

(Sorry this is pretty long, wanted to type and was a bit mad, did it in the background of a dungeon.)

P.S. Rythal, thank you so much for all your hard work, I'm glad you've stepped down to take care of yourself and have fun again, you deserve it. I hope you enjoy Legion! Don't let people like this dude make you feel bad. I'm so grateful you got this back on its feet, and you were right there when legion dropped as well, with an addon that was working!