View Single Post
09-23-16, 08:20 PM   #10
EyalSK
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Kagura View Post
I really like the declarative way of creating a UI. Lua usually ends up being unreadable and especially because there are so many different possible solutions to the same problem (take class based OOP for example), one persons code becomes hard to read to others.
It's the programmer's job to make things readable not the language.

JavaScript classes are just syntactical sugar, a mask to the prototypical inheritance that is the foundation of the language, whether you use "class" or a "function" to donate a class doesn't make it declarative so I really don't understand what declarative means, do you even refer to declarative programming? because that would be the wrong context to use it as it's not really dependent on the language you use.

I like coding with better tools and I want to switch out implementations easily without actually rewriting everything. This way I can 'compile' to a different class implementation without rewriting any of my code just to see the performance gain / loss.
What do you mean by better tools? because in most cases they would be quite close in terms of tooling although many editors use the TypeScript language service to provide better JavaScript support or/and have some sort of enhanced support to detect JavaScript specific patterns but still it isn't as reliable as you would have with a statically typed language mostly due to the dynamic nature of the language.

For clarity: I don't want to bring React to WoW at all. i just want to use the JSX syntax to create my 'components' because that really reads a lot easier.
Yes but for this to happen you need to write a tool that knows how to take this presentation and transpile it into pure Lua using WoW's API.

Last of all, I really thought it was a fun project :O
Well, if you're doing it for fun that's another story, if you enjoy it then the technical reasons don't matter at all... have fun coding!

Last edited by EyalSK : 09-23-16 at 08:36 PM.