View Single Post
08-08-09, 12:25 PM   #119
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Ouch, that is a problem. Yeah, ATI didn't get their act together as far as Linux drivers until late in the game, so it doesn't surprise me that you're having problems with an early ATI card. A quick search on Amazon does show a few AGP Nvidia cards though I'm not sure it'd be worth the money to upgrade/switch just to avoid Windows.

Good choice on motherboard though. I had one of those (well still do but that PC hasn't been booted in months), and was quite happy with it.
Yes, ATI support for Linux has been pretty buggy, likewise Macs have had some problems with their driver though not anywhere near the issues that 'nix users have. One of the nice things about the AMD merger is AMD is very FOSS area and gave ATI a much need kick in the ol' rear end in this area. Thus ATI (now AMD) is more forthcoming with details for both their own fglrx drivers and the FOSS RaedonHD. Too bad though as I am still in a bind.

I had no choice but to convert to Linux as my Windows install bite the big one and my Windows CD is destroyed thanks to my kid (my PC is a homebuilt so the Windows serial number is tied to the now destroyed CD). At least I has planned ahead with my data and kept all the files I want to keep on a separate partition and drive. Plus Ubuntu will read and write to NTFS formatted partitions drives without any issues. Thus it will be easier if I do convert back to a Windows installation after rebuilding/replacing this PC (Windows 7 this time)

The K8V board is an excellent mainboard. Then again, I have never had problems with an ASUS mainboard, generally they are built like tanks (aka the kind that blows up other tanks). Likely if I rebuild this machine or replace it, I will use it's existing parts for a media server or convert into a machine for my kid (again using Linux as the OS). If it was not for the ATI issues, I would be running WoW. At least my Game Card time is up so I am not wasting any money there. Still, I am broke (currently unemployed and the month of August sucks for job hunting!), hopefully this fall, I will have some income coming into the house so I think about building this machine. This time I will again stick with an ASUS main board, but I am going with an NVIDIA based GFX card. My last NVIDIA based card (an now ancient Diamond Viper 770 which used the TNT2 chip) worked for several years (late 1999 to the summer of 2004) when it was replaced by the Radeon board.

Last edited by Zyonin : 08-08-09 at 12:32 PM.