View Single Post
08-09-09, 09:19 AM   #42
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by anisa View Post
silly argument, a "working standard" would insist on a meticulous [1.01 .. 1.09 .. 1.11]...
And this is exactly my point see this post just a few above yours telling my my questions is silly and saying the exact opposite.

Originally Posted by Myrathi View Post
I tested the theory by asking various different members of my family and friends your question. Unequivocally, they all thought that 1.1.11 was greater than 1.1.2 and a couple thought my question was actually very silly (both being as non-technical people as you're likely to get).
In other words... your clear convention is not so clear. If you take a moment and actually read my original post, you'll see where I mention why I might use each and how the scheme gets modified for a situation. But we are also getting hung up on this example, which was never meant to be all encompassing. My point wasn't that the major.minor, or major.minor.revision versioning is bad or has to be ambiguous. My point was that there are many different factors that affect ones choice of versioning scheme, including but not limited to: target audience, version control system (not all of us use SVN), and project team organization.

Originally Posted by anisa View Post
if you produce something and don't give a damn about the people who use your product, your endeavour is not an altruistic one but just an ego trip to "put yourself out there.

what we seem to have are programmers who bandy about the "we do this for you and you don't appreciate us" excuse for a mere, "i just want to see my name next to something so i can look accomplished.

the botttom line is, are you writing something you can be proud of, or are you writing something to fill a gap within yourself?
As for telling me I don't give a damn about my users/product because I picked use a versioning scheme you don't like, well... it sounds like you are exactly the kind of user that I don't give a damn about. Any user who leaps to the assumption that because things aren't already exactly the way they want, without taking into consideration that they may be the way they are for a reason, and without even bothering to open a dialog with me about why they are the way they are, well... those are the ones I don't care about.

Last edited by Vyper : 08-09-09 at 09:34 AM. Reason: edited from grammer and clarity