View Single Post
09-07-06, 06:46 AM   #2
Zeksie
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The kinds of timings you're talking about are rarely caused by mods. The lua script execution is very fast and most normal event processing takes almost no time. Maybe 0.1ms (1/10,000th sec) in most cases.

Of course, lots of mods doing lots of things can all add to this. And in my own X-Perl I've been working on minimizing the overall performance impact for my next release.

More likely, the biggest problems you have are data gatherers. The timings don't necessarily have any noticable change when you first install them, so everything appears fine. But, over time, as they collect data, their performance degrades.

Notable data gatherers would be LootLink, Gatherer, MobInfo, Auctioneer. Things like that. Anything that stores a large amount of data that you can reference later. It has to be stored in the active UI memory.

If you have a genuine problem with button mods, it could be because of the OnUpdate procedure which is performed per button, per frame. So if you are displaying 50 buttons, and are getting 50 fps, that's 2500 calls to 1 function per second.

The default button OnUpdate function (on my PC) takes around 23 micro seconds (0.00023ms). Times that by 2500 and that's still only 0.575ms (or around 1/20,000th of a sec)

You can make performance improvements by having 1 global OnUpdate for all buttons, and cycling through them. But this is up to other developers to make it happen.