View Single Post
05-23-09, 04:59 AM   #25
Zaydok
An Aku'mai Servant
Let me start this post by saying I respect your opinions as your own, and I am not intending to flame anybody here. Just going to answer back and share my own point of view/opinion.

Originally Posted by honem View Post
Well I for one apologise for any undue tone that may be read into my words. What I'm trying to change peoples minds about is how , why and when they update their addons. I'm not trying to say "shame on you for using an automatic updater".

What I'm trying to combat is the attitude out there that you *must* update your addons every day (or every 2 days or some other arbitrary regular interval) and that an automatic updater client is the only fast and easy option to update your addons.

There is many many many varied ways of updating your addons. An automatic updater program is not the only option out there ...
Well actually everything you have posted on this thread seems to contradict your statement that you're "not trying to say 'shame on your for using and automatic updater'". The point you are using as your basis for why you are trying to change peoples' minds is because of all the problems that you say automatic updaters have caused in the addon community. So if you truly believe those facts to be true (I for one have not seen anything substantiated) then you are inferring that anyone who uses or wants to use an automatic updater is contributing to these "problems".

I would like to think that most people realize that automatic updaters aren't the only way to update. And I agree that the whole email notification system is one valid way of doing it. Shoot I rather like it. I just don't like the suggestion about not updating addons for weeks, months, years???

Would respectefully like to point out I'm not the only person who uses this method of updating. I'm not some archic hermit in the woods whos invented his own special way of cutting grass

Omen has access to the direct threat numbers now so other raiders not having the latest version doesn't matter anymore. DBM and Bigwigs have been known to off by a few seconds even with the latest updates installed. Possible due to latency , possibly due to hot fixes made , possibly due to a new raid instance being out . I don't believe a few seconds off here and there really matters - IMHO a good decent raid can adjust itself for litte "suprises" like that here and there. I often hear over vent someone saying that DBM must be a few seconds out so one of the tanks has to taunt a few seconds earlier. All part of raiding IMHO.
Being that I have no exact numbers for what the majority of the WoW population uses as guidelines to update or not to update I'll have to stick to my own experiences here. In my experience most players that I know update their addons at least 1-2 times per week, more often if crucial addons/updates are released. So that is why I stated that your method for judging an update seemed "off the beaten path".

As far as errors caused during raiding yes I agree that some can be played around. We have all seen the timers on boss mods be a few seconds off. I'm not new to raiding here so I realize that. But sometimes you don't know the timer is off until a wipe is caused and then you've lost time. I see this happen more often when different people are running different versions of addons. I would rather keep everyone updated and then just deal with the curve balls here and there.

I treat my UI as a closed working system.

That is for each update I think "why should I download this?" "why should I risk breaking my working system?"

This is why authors provide change logs for. They show exactly why they updated. Bear in mind they know that not every update they do will be for everyone. Also I get notifications of plenty of localisation updates. Most of the stuff they release are relatively minor updates . I know this because I read the change logs for every email I get.

So yes. It's my UI. I should decide wheter I want to download build v3698 of an addon or not. Is it worth my time downloading it ? My finger is just itching to press that delete key to ignore that update. I need to be given a reason to download that update. If I have no reasons to download then I don't waste my time on it

Most of the time when an author recommends updating to the latest patch of an addon it's because they've fixed a bug or made some kind of code optimization somewhere. If the change loge mentions fixing a bug I've personally been getting then of course I update it. Code optimizations are also nice too - it shows the authors figuring out more efficient ways of doing things and I'm all for that
Well I really can't disagree with this part of what you said. It is up to you to decide what you want and don't want to download and install. Each person had to decide this for themselves. And they have to decide which they prefer to do things and to each their own. I just don't agree with someone who tries to push their way on others, and I fully disagree with suggesting to people that they go extended periods of time without updating.

I think Curse.com, WoWI, etc. are in a position to truly look at the facts and the impact of automatic updaters on the overall community. The fact that they are both releasing their own automatic updaters tells me that things aren't that bad as some might say. So I'll take the 1-3 minute update they provide and backout any updates that I install that break my UI until a fix (which is usually available by the time I notice a problem) is available.