View Single Post
09-16-08, 01:15 PM   #19
AnrDaemon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Kaomie View Post
WoW works just fine under Linux with Wine in OpenGL mode.
And it is not even hard to install with any modern distribution.
WoW is not my work tool. Sadly

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Your grammar makes it tough for me to be sure what your trying to say here, but I think your trying to say UAC like features were available in Win2k+, which they are not. In Win2k-XP if you are an administrator, you are running with administrator privileges always, rather than elevating on demand.
I was unclear. I mean, that restrictions were applied to %ProgramFiles% even before W2k (in all systems supporting NTFS, unsure about HPFS).
And the way default users is set must be changed in W2k (when MS considered to abandon W9x' line and started to line things up to WinXP as replacement for both NT(W2k as the moment) and 9x based OS.
Simple demand for default user to be in "Users" group rather tan Administrator would help alot, disturb whole development and build right coding practice in 1,5-2 years easily. Now it is too late, *nix-like OS' progressed to the level where they can easily concur with windows for everyday work. And every thing MS did bad (Vista) more users going to *nix. I just clearly see it as increased population on *nix-related forums.

The point is that we shouldn't need to run under WINE. WINE introduces new overhead as it must emulate a Windows system, as well as the fact that WINE still has some stability issues, and sound delay (though it is much better than it once was).
WINE is not an emulator, it is RTE library. Much like libc or msvcp60. Plus loader. If you understand what I mean

Back to topic. Can anyone give a feedback to my first post? Does it really work as expected?