View Single Post
07-19-10, 11:31 AM   #11
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by toddimer View Post
Feature Creep & Bloat

It's really weird how much data is returned to the client about a player. Are achievements pulled back in the same call? Statistics? Gear? Talent Groups? Reputations? Yesterday's Lunch?

Sometimes, all I want to know is the player's active talent group. That shouldn't take 5 seconds! It would be absolutely rad if the Inspect data could be segregated and/or sped up. Or at least, if i could just get some quick data that could potentially change every 10 seconds.

Taking a specific example, I can cache a player's gear and talents. I can persist that across sessions; awesome. What I can't cache, is the currently active talent spec. I can't even persist that within a session.

If a party member gets summoned with a summon stone, addons can scan their talents & gear when they pop up. if the player then zones in...addons have to wipe the slate. While the player is sitting waiting inside the dungeon, the party member at the stone could be futzing with their talent spec, of flipping gear around. Any time the party member leaves the client zone of awareness, things get out of sync...when the party member comes back into sight, addons need to ask for ALL the inspect data again, JUST to see if the party members changed spec or gear while they were AWOL. That's retarded!

To Solve: Decouple inspect data that is highly variable: gear & talent choice.
It doesn't take 5 seconds, it's closer to 1-3 depending on latency. I actually doubt you would see that much of an increase by only sending talent data, at least nothing to make it noticeable. And achievements/statistics are a separate call, unrelated to NotifyInspect.