View Single Post
06-13-10, 11:01 AM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by xelepart View Post
1. Don't show class-only quests, such as the Warlock pet quest lines, to the other classes. Hide them. There aren't that many, so even if it's hard to automate, you could make a special list.

2. Don't show holiday-related quests, such as the Elders, unless that holiday is active.

3. Don't show "summoned-NPC" or "this item begins a quest" "quest givers" on the map -- "NPC:37337" (the baby raptor for the horde daily raptor-mount quest in un'goro) is listed in like 10-12 different places, giving the same quest in multiple places, and none of them make any sense. They are all just dailies from a guy you summon. Same goes for the Orphans -- you can get their quests anywhere. Marking them on the map is just confusing. Perhaps there could be a list of quests received from summoned NPCs somewhere?

Just some food for thought.

-x
Well, first off I don't think Carbonite has a way to tell which of your character's are what class, so it probably won't be separating out class specific quests anytime soon.

2. I'm pretty sure the list of quests is partly from Blizzard and partly compiled from information given by people who have done quests and sent the information to Carbonite's developers to help with the quest database. If you don't want to see holiday quests, just bypass everything in the quest database that is prefaced by a (0).

3. I don't think I've ever run into seeing a "This item begins a quest" quest giver location on WoW. It's a random occurrence, and as such, Carbonite (and, I think to a certain extent, Blizzard, also) has absolutely no idea when or where it will happen. Have you done the Venomhide Ravasaur Horde mount quests? If you haven't, let me enlighten you about something: I don't know how many times the quest chain for this mount actually shows up in the Carbonite Quest Database, but here's the way it works. It involves getting a quest from a single NPC (Mor'vek) in Un'Goro Crater to begin. It's called Toxic Tolerance (which, I believe, isn't in Carbonite's quest database). Complete that, and you can accept another quest. Venomhide Eggs. This leads you to the "chain" of daily's. I say "Chain" simply because it can be any one of 4 different quests on any given day, but starts by accepting the quest They Grow Up So Fast. You then get to do the daily's: Gorishi Grub, Hungry, Hungry Hatchling, Poached, Scrambled, Or Raw, or Searing Roc Feathers. At the end you turn in the required materials, and get a Whistle of the Venomhide Ravasaur. None of this happens because
They are all just dailies from a guy you summon.
The only summoning that happens is when you "summon" the baby Venomhide Ravasaur (every day) to get your daily quest.
If it doesn't make sense it's because you don't know what the quest is, not because of something Carbonite has done. For some odd reason, when the quest is listed on Wowhead, each of the daily's are split into two quests. One for Blood Elf's and Orc's. and another for Tauren, Troll and Undead. They have the same name and the same objective to be accomplished at the same place, so perhaps this is why those quests show up so often in the database.

As for the "orphan quests", just like any other quests you have to go to a certain location to get them, so why shouldn't you be able to see it on the map?

Anyway, it's highly doubtful that the database will be changed in the ways you are suggesting. Some users might actually want to do the quests you are suggesting and want to know where to get those quests.

If you are bothered by this so much, just turn off showing quest givers on your map. Problem solved.

Just some food for thought.