View Single Post
06-28-10, 03:36 PM   #5
xelepart
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
"I don't think Carbonite has a way to tell which of your character's are what class"
Someone else already pointed out that it's a one line command IN THE LANGUAGE THE WHOLE MOD IS WRITTEN IN. They have exactly one way to tell exactly that at any point anywhere in the entire code base. So first off, you're wrong.

2. The list of quests is Blizzard's quest list. it's by Blizzard's Quest ID, as collected by Carbonite users using Carbonite's quest collection code (which, by the way, has access to what class I am) -- my suggestion was a way to make the interface better. If I say "I look at my map, and half the quests are holiday quests. I would find an option to hide them convenient," and your response is "just ignore the holiday ones," that makes no sense. That's like me saying "gee, carbonite's great it shows useful information" and someone saying "nah, just use wowhead." the point is convenience, and making the mod as useful and powerful as possible. having a bunch of things on my screen that are 100% aboslutely useless because it's the middle of summer, and they are Winter Veil related doesn't make sense. Yes, I, personally, can ignore them. However, MY SUGGESTION WAS THAT MAYBE I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO. Thank you for your input that I can do it myself.

3. Are you serious? Do you even know what you're saying? Yes, I've done the quest line. And yes, Carbonite is perfectly able to identify that the same quest giver is giving the same quest in 30 different locations. My suggestion, in this case, is that showing 30 different locations that happen to be the locations that other people summoned a guy (or spoke to a summoned guy) who can be summoned basically anywhere does not provide useful information. It would be better to provide some *other* representation of this. For instance, just last week I did the Brann Bronzebeard quest line in Stormpeak Mountains. Brann's image can be summoned anywhere. However, Carbonite has him indicated at five specific locations, some of them for some quests, some for others. And none of those locations actually means anything -- you can summon him anywhere. there's no reason to fly to a place someone else summoned him to turn in the quest.

Furthermore, I did not say "change it and make the display of these quests impossible," because that would be stupid. Obviously, it's valuable information. I asked for OPTIONS to hide seasonal quests, and suggested that summonable/any-location quest-sources could have better presentations.

I've done every quest in this game multiple times, I have been writing mods for six years, and I have been using Carbonite for three. I know exactly what I'm talking about, everything I suggested is entirely possible, most of it without much work. There are no Lua or WoW-based restrictions that would stop them, they are entirely presentation-to-the-user related, none of them in any way would remove or stop other people from doing or seeing this quest informtion.

People like you make me hate postings in forums.

Dear Carbonite,

I officially remove my ideas for possible improvements to your UI which would be options and not in any way require any form of database changes, entirely based on this windy shmuck's meaningless and entirely wrong on every point blatherings.

-x

Last edited by xelepart : 06-28-10 at 03:41 PM.