View Single Post
12-08-09, 05:32 PM   #27
Amenity
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
It's safer to keep this game and games like it out of traditional industry analogies. No other business in the world is permitted to operate on such low standards of service as most MMORPG's.
Except for things like telephone, satellite, internet, cable, electricity, and water companies...
As a business owner myself, I could not imagine any of my employees failing to meet reasonable service expecations of my clients. They would be canned the 2nd time they failed.
Irrelevant comparison is irrelevant. You, as a private business owner, cannot even begin to comprehend what Blizzard deals with on a day-to-day basis. I was a senior systems consultant for IBM working 6 different hosting locations around the globe on-call 24/7...and not even I can begin to comprehend it.
I simply can't believe Blizzard continues to operate without being able to properly set expectations with their customers. The technical issues of this (and any other game) is never the issue that upsets customers. It is the inability to effectively communicate and set proper expectations that creates so much trouble.
This game has been around for over 5 years now, and compared to pretty much every other MMO on the market at the time it has had the shortest amount of downtime. Nothing has changed. Why should anyone's expectations be any different now than they were then? If (just to give an example) they went 6 hours over their scheduled maintenance times every week for 5 years, why would you expect any different on Week 261?

I know one thing, if I'm taking your money for services, you will damned well know I'm doing my utmost in protecting your investment. I bust my ass to maintain a very high standard of business practices. If I can do it, Blizzard can do it. You just have to care.
If simply caring could fix problems like this, I wouldn't be driving the aforementioned Saturn.

Hell, Blizzard doesn't even understand the ways in which their policies and practices escalate their very own cost of doing business. But, I guess that's another issue entirely.
Warcraft. Warcraft II. Warcraft III. Diablo. Diablo II. Starcraft. World of Warcraft. This is the most successful MMORPG ever, and it's only a tiny, tiny fraction of this company's illustrious history as one of the top game-design firms on the face of the planet. I think they know what they're doing.