View Single Post
07-06-17, 09:52 AM   #9
SushiAce
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
I wish there was more of this around the community. All that API can be used in a lot of different ways, but I generally feel like UIs are just skins with varying degrees of informational features. I guess you shouldn't fix it if it isn't broken, but the UI hasn't really changed much from vanilla in terms of UX.

I was kinda forced into dealing with UX because my ideas were completely alien, but what's to say the UX in WoW is optimal? The game menu and micro button bar were things I didn't like, so I made my own:
http://imgur.com/GGcT7gA

Also the quest / gossip frames:
https://youtu.be/hwe0yZ4xdGM

It would be cool to see someone completely overhaul it to something modern that still fits the game.
I really have to agree with you. Whilst certain game mechanics have evolved, they just kept the 12+ year old UI and tucked new things on to it. The team involved with the UI/UX must be really small and is just maintaining the old thing and only makes changes to protect certain functions or to make some parts more moddable - I mean in the end it's people like you, who make really amazing AddOns, that are using fresh ideas and assets to make some old parts of the game exiting again (Immersion) or even open up new ways of playing the game (ConsolePort), so from a company pov they have somewhat outsourced their UI/UX departement to their users, which pay them, not the other way around.

ls:UI from lightspark could be the closest approach to make the classic UI more modern - with or without the recent update to include more traditional unitframes. And it is amazing, but I'd like to build something like that on my own since I really enjoy the journey from a mockup or an idea to the "finished" product.

Also: I really, REALLY love your Addons MunkDev Whilst I hadn't have that much time to incorporate ConsolePort, I certainly use Immersion every time I build a UI - no matter the style