View Single Post
12-06-09, 12:56 PM   #1
Sec
A Cyclonian

Please Doctor WhoDat.

(I sincerely hope this is posted in the right subforum. Also, sorry for the pun. Couldn't resist. ^^")

Hello, addon authors hosted on WoWInterface!

I come before you all with a humble request. An addon called WhoDat is in need of repair, however its author (Frella) no longer plays World of Warcraft and has not logged into WoWInterface in months. I am trying to get ahold of Frella to see if they will be able to fix the problem themselves, but with no activity in months, I do not have much hope.

The purpose of WhoDat is to provide a stand-alone addon that will insert a main character's name next to the corresponding alt whenever the alt speaks in a chat channel. It's similar to a module in Chatter but can require less configuration if a GM or Officer has already made necessary additions to the Guild Info tab and either Public or Officer notes.

It's broken because of the following: if a person is playing their alt and types something, their message will simply not be displayed in the chat window of a user running WhoDat. My hunch is this is a result of Blizzard adding in class-colored name support to chat windows. Sometimes the alts text isn't blocked - possibly depending on if an alt is online before the WhoDat user comes on, or logs on after the WhoDat user is on. I haven't used the addon in some time as I had started using Chatter, but I really do not utilize all that Chatter has and do not like manually adding in alts/mains.

There is one other problem that I will copy/paste from WhoDat's comment page:

Aside from this, I noticed something the other night. I was having a whisper conversation with a guildmate's alt using the addon Cellular. When the alt said something, the main's name showed up in brackets, correctly. When I said something though, that main's name showed up in brackets too - even though I am clearly a separate person. Clarification:

BOB [DAN]: Hi!
JILL [DAN]: Hi!
JILL [DAN]: Wait... I'm not Dan! D:
I'd be happy to test any fixes that could be made to WhoDat - this addon was extremely handy not only for the addition it made to the chat window, but also in displaying a tooltip stating alts/mains when browsing over members in the Guild window.