View Single Post
12-16-13, 04:49 PM   #59
TheWafflian
A Murloc Raider

I support the nUI project as a whole, but people need to be realistic.

Blizzard has the final say in this, like it or not. They decide what can be done, and complaining on forums does nothing. Their addon policy isn't a legal matter, it's a company decision. It's not "We will pursue you in court for making a paid addon", it's 'We'll code out any addons that don't comply with our policy". It's their code; if they want to prevent it from interacting with a specific bit of outside code, they can.

Then we have the matter of people yelling 'entitlement'. Don't make addons if you expect to be paid. Blizzard specifically states they require addons be free of charge. If you make addons expecting monetary compensation, you'll end up disappointed. When you point out that Scott has spent days coding without getting anything in return, realize that he signed up for exactly that. Nobody tricked him, nobody lied to him. Better yet, in contrast with this slave metaphor I see thrown around, he does this purely out of his own will. He's not 'required' to do anything. Stuff like Zygor's only gets by because it's 'given free' with the actual purchase of the guide (and even then, 9/10 of its' users didn't buy it).

All this being said, Blizzard is not without fault. Perhaps they did not investigate enough, or they didn't elaborate on the policy enough. Regardless, I think it's something that should be handled between Blizzard and Scott. Without the hordes of opponents and proponents ranting on forums.

Also, because I feel it needs to be repeated.
Stop calling for legal action. The addon policy isn't a court matter, it's Blizzard telling us how they are going to code their game.

Last edited by TheWafflian : 12-16-13 at 04:52 PM.