View Single Post
10-26-10, 02:43 PM   #21
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Religion is and always will be in our society, as it will always be in our daily lives - whether it be direct participation or from others. As for the specific question "Do we/society need it?" - No; I don't think it is necessarily needed, but everyone acknowledges it.

Princeton's definition of religion says it is "a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny". While you may not believe "in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny", you still recognize that you do not believe this, so you, in effect, partake in religion. So, in other words, I believe you do need religion as everyone partakes in it!

Okay, so enough technicalities Here is my take on religion, etc.:

I respect any religious views, of course, and have a better understanding of those that have different interpretations of "religion" (as defined above - believing in something). But atheism, I can't wrap my head around - how can one not believe in any "higher power"? Whether it be someone or something - do you really believe that we are just here? - that planets, animals, life, gas; everything is just here?

Also, how can others be hateful to other religions (or religion itself)? If you believe in God, so what? What do you mean you have to give up yourself to your religion? You are choosing to believe in someone or something to explain your (and everything's) very existence.

TL;DR - Religion may not necessarily be needed in society - but it will always be - and there is nothing that can be done to change that.