View Single Post
02-02-08, 07:03 PM   #2
Sythalin
Curse staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There is no "best" way to release an addon. Period.

When you post one up, wherever you decide to do so, it's up to the people to spread it around. All mod sites have a list of recently added mods on their front pages, and the curious will take a look at new additions. If they like it, they'll mark it and recommend it to their friends. If they don't, they'll either post up suggestions to make it better or dismiss it and never acknowledge it's existance again (the latter being the usual case). A lot of times people won't notice an initial release either, but catch it later after you've posted fixes and new features.

The update method you reference as far as WAU is rather moot. Both incgamers and curse have their own clients to do the same thing now and those people who use mostly Ace addons (like me) do in fact use it for convience and a lot of times the Ace'd are updated more often. But as long as a mod is good from another site (I use a lot of non-Ace'd as well) people will just bookmark it and have an email sent to them when said mod is updated.

In the end, all the mediums are about the same when it comes down to it. The real factors that matter are simply these: how useful is your mod, and if it's really good, just give it TIME to spread. My most successful mod, MageTaxi, took a couple of months before I started seeing a serious number of DL's start floating around between here and incgamers. It's not posted at curse nor is it Ace'd. Word just gets around.

So as I said, in the end, it's all about functionality and time. If you allow for both of these, it won't really make a lick of difference where you host it from.