View Single Post
09-02-12, 10:09 AM   #330
WhaleTune
A Murloc Raider

Smile

Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Just a sugestion but the devs need to create a Kickstarter project and set a goal that we can help them reach in order for the project to continue. Once the project went to a donation only model, the devs had to focus on things that brought money home. That's understandable, and I can see why the project sort of derailed.

A large number of Carbonite fan's out there would be more than willing to drop even a few hundred dollars if there was a promise of an update. Ive donated before, and appreciate the work that goes into programing the addon since I use to program myself. Please create a kickstarter project and ask for what you need to be compensated for your work and let the community put their money where their mouth is.
Absolutely; Kickstarter is the ticket here. Myself (and my company) have already sponsored over 14 projects (mostly tech). It is an outstanding way to sponsor something the people themselves believe in, and don't have to wait for BIG business to accomplish or "decide" they even want to do it. More so, it is also a great way that smaller groups of fans who like something can bring it to reality.

Both good tech and gaming items have been getting ridiculous donations; like over 1000% funded.

I would actually like to see a complete rewrite of the code to update Carbonite, but only from the original developers (as they deserve to make the cash). So say they make a "fix" for now, but through this Kickstarter project make a complete rewrite of the code bringing it up to date with the latest API's.

Now, you have to realize how Kickstarter works, the developers can state the duration of the funding campaign (2 weeks to 3 months I believe). Once it gets funded...there is something like a five week delay until Amazon actually sends them the monies. So what I would recommend to the developers is:

1. Do a short term Kickstarter campaign during which we all donate...to see if we really mean it.
2. Then, if successful, do a quick fix for all of us loyal Carbonite fans with the promise for the rewrite.
3. Make sure your sponsors (us) gets the beta earlier than anyone else as a "prize".

Carbonite developers...here is the way to actually be paid (up front) what you are worth, and to see if the fans are actually blowing smoke about donating or willing to put their money where their mouths are.

NOTE - Anybody who has contact with the developers, please get this information to them! Thanks!