View Single Post
09-13-10, 05:17 AM   #19
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
A specific example, why is UnitAura causing massive taint and makes it impossible to cancel player buffs if tainted in Cataclysm? I guess I just don't see how one could abuse this API by modifying how it's runned...

Also just modifying how buff timers are shown also taints it so bad that you can't cancel buffs, perhaps this is a bug that will be resolved later on? Just curious if not like what other ways could we use to modify the numbers below buffs or what buffs consolidate and not.
You're missing a few different points here that I'd like to try and clarify. The first and most important is that you don't need to alter the original function in order to do what you want to do. Consider the aura system a completely closed box that you cannot alter the code of in any way. How could you accomplish what you want to do?

You could write a function that hides the original timer FontStrings and replace them with your own, in your own format, with your own conditions. This code can run on top of the Blizzard aura system without any taint and you get precisely what you want.

Alternatively, you can wait and see if there's going to be secure template support for the aura system, in which case you'll almost certainly be able to do what you want in another way entirely.

The reason that altering that function causes taint is because that is how the taint system works. In some cases Blizzard writes their code in a way that makes it easier for us to directly customize things, but that's not always possible or feasible.

To reiterate: You can do what you want to do, get precisely the same effect, you just cannot do it the way you're trying to do it.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."