View Single Post
08-16-12, 03:00 PM   #51
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ah, a reply from wowaddons in response to my request that for the time being he turns nUI's download link into a link to the wowinterface page until Scott is able to make the decision himself whether he wants to host his addons there.

Sent: 16 August 2012 19:31
To: ****************
Subject: World of Addons Removal Request

Dear Xrystal,

I am writing to let you know that we here at World of Addons have received your feedback. Thank you for your concern, and I have taken it upon myself to personally e-mail Scott about nUI. Hopefully, we will be hearing back from him shortly despite his absence. As far as your other concerns with nUI and a link being provided to the offical download page at WoWInterface, if you would kindly look to the bottom of the "About This Addon" section you will find links to WoWInterface as well as the website dedicated solely to nUI.

In your message you also stated that you would not like your addons to be hosted with us. I would like to gently ask why and also ask if there was any way we could perhaps change your mind. If there is anything we at World of Addons can possibly do to change your feelings on this matter, please do not hesitate to let us know. From offering a helping hand with updates to various forms of compensation, we are willing to work with any and all addon authors to be able to reach an amicable agreement. Nothing would give us greater pleasure than to have your addons hosted on our site.

Since I am unsure of which addons belong exclusively to you, I cannot tell you if any are currently hosted on World of Addons. If you find they are hosted, and wish to have them removed please e-mail me with the list of addon names so we can begin the ownership verification process that will allow us to proceed with removal. If however, you do indeed have a change of heart, head over to the site and be sure to upload and claim any addons that may be yours which will gain you an entry into our Claim Your Addon contest we are currently running (pending the verificiation process once again). Claiming your addon will also give you full control of your addon so you can edit, update, and even remove it if you so wish. Once again, we would love to have you host your addons on our site.

In closing I would like to send my apologies for any distress and/or inconvenience this matter may have caused you as well as my sincere wishes that one day you will allow us to host your addons on World of Addons.
And my reply to that email is going to be ..

Dear Jason,

I can only give great support for my addons if I am updating them on the one site. I tried using Curse as a second site and I just didn't have the time to deal with 2 lots of uploads and comment upkeeps and checks. Seeing as Wow Interface was where I first learned how to make addons and have assisted many people and gain assistance by just as many if not more I chose to make wowinterface my addon home. I removed my addons from Curse as well.

I have my own webserver so I could just as easily just hosted them myself but again, it would involve yet more support making sure the server stays safe from viruses and other IT related problems. On top of my 9 to 7 job I just cannot afford to spend time on something like that.

That is the main reason. I don't personally have a problem with multiple sites hosting addons. I do however have a problem with sites hosting addons without getting permission from their owners, prior to it happening.

I know that Scott is currently out of communication, which is why I am currently the one keeping it up to date with Mists of Pandaria, so you will likely not be getting a reply any time soon. He is currently unable to access emails or the internet but is currently working hard on getting the new version of nUI ready for the new expansion.

So, in lights to nUI, all I am asking that instead of having the download from your site directly you point to either his curse link ( which points to wowinterface for support ) or his wowinterface link where he chose to host his addons, at least until he is back on the scene to personally choose whether he wants your site to also host his addons.

From what I can see you currently are not hosting any of my addons. That of course could be because I no longer use curse as my secondary addon host due to the explanation above. In lights of Scott's addons they would be all the ones that start with nUI. Both the main addon and plugins. I wouldn't be surprised to find these are the ones he has chosen to put on curse.

Just as I respect your decision to give the user another option for downloads please respect authors decisions to host their addons with you.

Xrystal