View Single Post
11-02-09, 10:28 AM   #43
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Some people forget that there are other things on the road besides other cars.

People crossing the street at an intersection.
Kids chasing a ball.
Motorcycles/Scooters (in some states, there is no helmet law)
Bicycles
Pets/Animals/Deer
etc...

I can't find the article now, but recently here in Memphis, a motorcyclist was stopped at a red light (he was wearing a helmet). He was rear-ended by a car going full-speed for the road and died on-scene. The driver of the car was texting. Phone records show that they had hid "send" *just* before crashing into the motorcycle.

There have also been studies showing that when texting, drivers take their eyes off the road for an average of 4.5 seconds. That is a long time.

There are already laws in some states banning texting while driving. A car is a deadly weapon, while your home is not. There's even a term for when you kill someone with your car - "vehicular manslaughter".

I'm not saying that there have to be laws about every little thing, or that people cannot use their best judgment. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be etiher. Hell, I disagree with some laws (as of this summer, people in Tennessee can carry guns into public parks ). But don't be so surprised or appalled when these topics come up and you see other people's opinions on them.

Think of it this way: if you have never had an accident where one or more parties were "using technology" then you have a different view/opinion than someone who has had that experience. If you were the father/mother/whatever of that man killed by the person texting, you're going to have a different take on the situation.

When we talk about (most) laws, we're talking about what's the greater good for everyone. The first amendment does not take precedence over any law about spouting obscenities in public, verbal threats, etc. The fact that alcohol is legal to drink whenever you want, does not override any drunk driving laws.

With freedom comes responsibility. We already know that not everyone is on the same page as far as common sense goes. Laws are for those times that someone's lack of common sense impedes on someone else's basic rights. Your freedom does not override my life. And vice versa. It's a delicate balance, yes, but one that has to be respected.

If you say "I'm an American", then you understand and respect the fact that America was founded with a certain set of laws. If people say "I'm a Christian", then you understand and accept that Christianity holds a certain set of laws/rules. Etc... Rules and the consequences of breaking them are everywhere. If they weren't, the world would be in chaos - human nature and varying levels of "common sense" have proven this to be true on so many occasions and on so many levels. (Lord of the Flies, anyone?)

/tldr... Having rules/laws aren't necessarily a bad thing, and common sense isn't for everyone. Respect other people's rights and the world around you, please.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh