11-02-09, 06:17 PM   #54
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
That's a new one.

I've heard of banning it, period - the theory there is that it's not the act of holding the phone (using either your hand or your head/neck/shoulder) that's the problem, it's that your mind is focused on too many things at once and it's the conversation, not the traffic, that tends to come to the foreground.
Precisely. Thus, headsets do not give you any gain. And I agree 100% with that philosophy. The thought that someone is somehow driving "better" because they aren't holding the phone is totally inconceivable to me, given that it's not the phone that's the problem, but rather the distraction. Hell, I think most people drive with just one hand anyway.

Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
I do not see, however, how it therefore follows that it should be allowed only when not using the headset. I'd love to hear that justification.
The law is not actually directed specifically at cell phone usage, but is a general law. Instead, the law targets anything in or around your ears. You are not allowed to have anything in or around your ears (with obvious exceptions like hearing aids) because it impairs your ability to hear external noises, much like those that Seerah has already mentioned. Horns, sirens, and other vehicles are just a few of those noises that you are less likely to hear while your ears are blocked. For that reason, not only cellular headsets, but also earmuffs, generic headphones, and noise cancellers are all forbidden.

There are, of course, systems that do not violate this law -- and that's why I said most, not all. In particular, where I live, a very common thing to buy is a handsfree system which instead uses your radio to hear the call. Again, I do not believe this is useful because it still acts as a distraction to the driver, but it does at least mitigate the loss of hearing.

-- Shirik
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/