View Single Post
04-14-09, 08:49 PM   #294
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Okay, I have a lot of catching up to do (d@mn that need for sleep), so give me some time here.

Couple things right off the top, though:

a) Some of you are really pushing it with the personal attacks. You know very well and good that we don't allow that on this site. Don't make me give you a vacation; and

b) You're right, we do wish we were able to have our updater ready before we had to block WowMatrix. But as I have said other places,
  • Shirik is doing this voluntarily around his school work, and as far as we are concerned, his school work is more important. He has been busting his @ss trying to get it ready, but he does have to sleep some times. He's d@mn near put himself in the hospital a few times, he's skimping so much on his sleep, etc.
  • I don't remember many people offering to step up to the plate to help us get it ready. We don't have the budget to pay someone.
  • Think about this next part really hard: Why would we take this action against WowMatrix if we weren't ready? If you follow the bouncing ball, you should be able to figure that one out.
Volunteer work is just that. That's why there is a community. W-M was another "community" that could have been hooked into. Building your own client that works with only your site is short-sighted.

Now, if your client works with Curse, Ace and WoWI. I'll sit back and watch. However, if it doesn't ... again ... t's short-sighted. It's the new DRM of Add-On sites...

And I prey to god it's better than the Curse client which is horrendous, unstable, *ad crazy* and, worst off, it does not "just update my add-ons."

*Edit:
Oh, I have the perfectly idea:
How about building an API capable of checking and linking to the downloads for add-ons and then let the community build their own updater apps?
Supply a EULA that states "you may not modify add-ons. You may not remotely store add-ons."
Done. Everybody is happy and Shirik doesn't have to kill himself to build a client (I'm assuming it's not as bad as Curse's).
This will build a true competitive market for add-on applications, which will drive the sites and community to out-do each other. Eg: improving the user experience immensely!

And best of all, it would build yourself as the key centralized add-on site, potentially eclipsing Curse (who remains closed-minded, short-sited).

Last edited by guice : 04-14-09 at 09:01 PM.