Thread: Hack Alert!
View Single Post
11-11-09, 09:45 PM   #12
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
My last big tip ?

whois search.

You should only be putting in your wow username and password on sites that you know are owned by Blizzard.

How do we know if it's Blizzard owned ?

By looking it up on a whois database.

When a company registers a domain (eg battle.net) they pay a fee to a domain register company. Their details are then listed in the whois record for that website or domain.

This whois record can usually be looked up as it's public information.

The website I used for it is domaintools.com

How do I read this funny whois record thingy whatsey whosey ?

Good question !

The best way is to have a webpage open to domain you absolutely know is owned by Blizzard.

login.worldofwarcraft.com for example.

Look that up and have it open in a seperate window. Then compare the details for one you've looked up for the suspect website. The Blizzard owned domain would have an admin & technical contact in Irvine California. IP Location in California. All sorts of stuff that should match the one for the legit Blizzard website.

EU players compare your whois records with either battle.net or wow-europe.com (that last domain has an admin contact in California , IP location in France)

I've pumped every single key logger address I've ever seen through this system and it works - the key logger websites would have admin contacts and physical IP address in China or the Balkans or some other location not Blizzard's location.

If you need help I'm only a PM away
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)