View Single Post
08-08-09, 01:33 PM   #27
Myrathi
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
There's a flaw in this analogy.

Addon authors don't get paid anyway, in any real terms. It's basically a hobby, nothing more. Authors write something because they, personally, want to use it. Sometimes they're nice and share it.
I agree with you, entirely. I was simply explaining why I thought the way I did because that's the environment I work within, on a daily basis. :)

But if the process of sharing it becomes too difficult in their eyes, they'll just stop sharing.
And that's where it stops adding up (in my opinion).

Authors must already enter in a version string when they upload their addon. It's something they already do. There is no extra step they must or must not take.

What I was suggesting was that the format of that version string be standardised. I was only suggesting a format, though, not stating that's the one it should be. There are many reasons that one version-format may be better than another yet not be a good one to use as a site-format. The other version-format that may be better for use on a site for progress-tracking would be a revision-number. Both are version-formats, one just happens to be no more than an incremental integer.

This is not a major step for authors, though. It's not even a major step for users (except, perhaps, in that they'll have a more across-the-board method of recognising revisions).

It "simply" means that authors will need to type a string of a specific format.

Ain't exactly rocket science - though from certain people's reactions, you'd think it was.

Originally Posted by Vyper
It is not WoWInterfaces place to tell me how to version my addons
I agree - kind of - but they wouldn't be telling you how to version your addon - they'd be tell you how they expect you to format the version-string for identification of your addon on their site. Difference.

Note that the tag I suggested was "X-Minion-Version" and not "Version" (which is generally always used as the tag to identify the *addon* version, in the style the author prefers). I chose a Minion-specific tag quite deliberately. :)

Originally Posted by Vyper
Which is greater? 1.1.11? Or 1.1.2? The uneducated user will most likely think 1.1.2 is the newer version.
I tested the theory by asking various different members of my family and friends your question. Unequivocally, they all thought that 1.1.11 was greater than 1.1.2 and a couple thought my question was actually very silly (both being as non-technical people as you're likely to get).

At the very least, it reminded me of one very important rule, when it comes to users: never, ever assume that they're going react in any specific way; they have a habit of screwing you up. :D

Originally Posted by lilsparky
anyway, if minion had a feedback feature where people could flag a mod as being out-of-date that info could be used by minion to ignore a mod, but also it could be sent back to wowi and wowi could email mod authors of out-of-date mods to ask them to update or acknowledge the mod is indeed out-of-date.

if they update, then everybody's happy. if they acknowledge the mod is out-of-date, then it gets flagged as such at the wowi level and all minion updates will ignore it unless specifically told to download it.
In short: I like both of those ideas. :P

Last edited by Myrathi : 08-08-09 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added lilsparky response.