View Single Post
10-17-08, 09:56 AM   #2
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've heard of this before, and it's Squid being a bad man.

Prefetching is a pretty simple concept: Let's say you google for something. All those links pop up. While your browser (or in this case, your proxy) is sitting there doing nothing after that page has loaded waiting for you to click a link, it wants to speed things up. So what it does is actually silently follows each of those links to start downloading it ahead of time, in preparation for you to click them. This way, if you do actually click the link, your load time will (appear to) be shorter.

We don't allow this due to various issues.

The problem: When it's blocked, we DO use an HTTP error code. Firefox does prefetching as well (I think IE does also) and detects this error code and knows not to cache that information. Squid, on the other hand, ignores the error code and caches the error page. Thus, if you click the link after it's been prefetched, Squid goes ahead and delivers the (incorrect) error page instead.

I don't actually know the resolution to this unfortunately, I just know that's where the problem lies because it's come up before. Hopefully it's enough information to get you started, though.

Good luck,
-- Shirik
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Last edited by Shirik : 10-17-08 at 09:58 AM.