View Single Post
06-22-09, 12:41 AM   #10
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by jaliborc View Post
I don't understand nothing about server querying, so this may seem stupid, but I though that the client already queried the server for completed quests, to know if the quest givers can offer us such quests.
It really depends on what sort of data is gotten from the server , how big it is and how often it's queried.

With Millions of players I think you can understand that even the smallest amount of data transferred can quickly add up to a lot of data to be transferred.

You'd want it designed in such a way as it doesn't bring a server to it's knees when the entire wow population of a server all logon and click their "check quests complete" button. Even worse if they decide to do it every 5-10 minutes or so.

Maybe a system where you have to request a token from the server before running the query. And the query just sends up a list of quest ids and gets an array of boolen values back. The token you get from the server could be pretty much a "yes you can ask me now" or a "no i'm busy" sort of thing.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)