View Single Post
08-30-12, 12:27 AM   #227
sgtevmckay
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
I know, I was just reminding you to be careful. Would hate to see you get in trouble.
I agree, but I do have many issues here.
Starting with LUA being open source and available to all, This is where I believe that the WoW and Blizzard folks were going, but lets put that aside.

The creators of this original addon believed that their intellectual usage would one day garner.....something.
The license was extended into 2012.

on the other hand; we have no response from the programmer(s) in question.
There is no guaranty of future updates, and there is no mention of preserving this program in the future or for all time.

Although the agreement is very generic (Copied in fact), it was done so inappropriately and not enforceable......but!

I believe that every available precaution is being taken here.
Rythal has received no notice to discontinue and is posted and made other attempts to contact programmers here, in fact I am surprised that the original programmers have not asked to take him on to the program team.

To be safe: the best solution is to start from scratch.
On the other hand, anything made in LUA is open source as is not bound by any agreement anyways, so these portions can be modified and used as you see fit.
More info on LUA licensing here ( http://www.lua.org/license.html )
At least starting over, you can correct bugs and create a clean code as you go, but yes a demanding and time consuming under taking, I know: I have walked this road before.

I am a bit disturbed, Cairenn, that as an admin, you do not have a form of direct communication to the programers of this addon. This needs to be addressed and immediately so.
I Admin a number of forums, and have a way to directly contact all programmers (Period), please pass this onto the folks that are in charge.
This will help prevent this situation in the future.

As the updates are done, I will continue to use them at this time, I also suggest that work continue on the addon by Rythal until such time that a programmer or proper software representative comes forward and says otherwise, or rather; invites Rythal to complete his work and invites him/her to the programming team.

I have done this Licensing dance too many times in my life, there is never a clear answer, but to keep on keeping on.

Many thanks to you Rythal for your work

Last edited by sgtevmckay : 08-30-12 at 12:39 AM.