Thread: Carbonite Quest
View Single Post
04-15-08, 08:59 AM   #45
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by anova View Post
I have tried the demo version of this mod, and I think it is remarkable and shows great promise. The developers are responsive, and I support them making money off their work (although if all mods followed the same business model it would get prohibitively expensive quickly...)

What bothers me about the mod it that once you install it it is a bit of a bully. The demo version quite purposefully breaks several other popular mods (gatherer, lightheaded, atlas), and they will not work in conjunction with Carbonite unless you pay for it. Now certainly many mods out there do not work together, but as far as I know this is never done ON PURPOSE. They have the ability to make it work, but they don't - not for free. To my mind, this can only be viewed as competitive, mercenary, and community-breaking. Certainly it is the choice of the consumer as to what they buy, but I can see the point that this mod does not play well with others and is not in the spirit of community development.

I think the business model is worth a try, but I do feel like the mod is approaching things in the wrong way, and ought to work with the community, not against it. Additional features for a fee sounds fine, but breaking other mods on purpose just doesn't sit well with me.

I normally don't reply to a post like that unless I feel passionately about the issue. The mudslinging at Carbonite is a topic that I feel passionately about... and when I get passionate about something I normally end up getting in trouble. So, I will try my best to choose my words wisely.

Your cold hard proof of this is..... where??? I'm not interested in LUA errors or Bugsack errors. I want the cold hard proof that the creators made Carbonite so that it would break those addons on purpose.

Somehow I think you either didn't install something correctly, or you are experiencing innocent bugs with one or a few of the mods.

In the meantime I'm going to wait for your proof.