View Single Post
04-12-12, 06:52 PM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
I think you've had bad experiences with mice which have poor designs. You shouldn't need to reposition your thumb at all to hit either side button, it should only involve rocking your thumb back and forth.
While this sounds fine in theory, in practice my thumb does not normally lay along the mouse in a way that would make that possible. Only the tip of my thumb touches the mouse, mainly because I hold the mouse slightly on the diagonal with the front turned toward my thumb and the back turned toward my pinky. Only my ring finger has more-than-just-the-tip contact with the mouse, so two buttons would be fine on that side... maybe I should get a left-handed mouse.

I was always under the impression that any mice with buttons on the opposing side were simply ambidextrous, but I guess if it feels comfortable to you then you could use them however you want.
They are ambidextrous, but I think most people only use them with one hand or the other (rather than switching off which hand is using the mouse at any given moment), and companies make them primarily as an alternative to making purely left-handed mice. If it works with either hand, left-handed users can use it, but it doesn't exclude right-handed users either, so it appeals to a wider consumer base.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Have you tried using the buttons this way, rather than reaching the pad of your thumb back to the second button?
My mouse at work has both buttons on the same side. I hate it... having my whole thumb touching the mouse feels the same as having my whole palm touhcing the mouse. It feels very awkward and I feel like I have less fine control over the mouse movement with my hand like that.

I suggest going to a store with display models and finding one with the right feel for you, though. Or maybe try out your friend's mice.
But it's so far away! And I can't do it on the internet at work!