View Single Post
09-10-09, 06:36 PM   #28
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
personally, i think these issues are much larger than the availability/lack of "rating" addons.

i suspect that in any large, anonymous, egalitarian, "one-size-fits-all" virtual online environment like this, especially with such a wide variance in content/difficulty (and degrees of commitment on the part of the community), there is just no way to win . literally anyone you encounter could be an inveterate jackass, and the "jackass" stat is not something the armory tracks.

what is more, i have found that even in a jackass-free community (like the guild i am in), i am way behind most of my active guildmates. i am a casual enough player (at this point) that i just don't have the time/resources to "keep up" with the progression, which means there is a lot of content that simply isn't "intended" for me (like... heroics), AKA content i just wouldn't have the means to access with what i would consider a reasonable level of effort even if i suddenly found i had more time/resources.

for myself, given Blizzard's whole philosophy for the game (i.e. rich enough that people can make a second career out of it, if they want to), given how high the ceiling is at this point, i suspect i would need to churn servers, guilds, and/or playgroups to find folks at "my level" (and with a similar level of commitment to mine, who would be somewhat likely to remain at "my level"), which would significantly increase my exposure to the jackass factor for a while, or wait until the next expansion and suddenly stop being casual.

and churning seems to be the name of the game. i cannot think of more than one or two people i started playing with (in November 2004) that are still in the game with their "original" toons on my preferred server. everyone from the "old days" is gone; either quit, switched servers/toons w/o leaving a forwarding address, or some such.

i wish it was different...
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"