View Single Post
01-29-11, 11:14 AM   #26
Mr. Tastix
A Murloc Raider
To put it simply, my main problem with Minion isn't actually with Minion, it's with the addon authors themselves.

I use both Minion and Curse, simply because there are some addons on WoW Interface and some on Curse (ElvUI is only on here, for example). There's also the problem that some addon authors may update their addons for one site but not for the other, thereby causing all the out-of-date problems with Minion.

Originally Posted by Jooze View Post
It seems far to commercial to me, and far to cluttered, most likely because of the portal concept. I want WoW Addons and I don't want to have to read about anything else or have anything else clutter up the space.
Here's a fact: ZAM owns WoW Interface.

ZAM is just as "commercial" as Curse is. Both choose to be because they want to promote the other sites within their network, and what better way to do that then get them all to publish articles and the like about network websites?

Originally Posted by Maziel View Post
That too would be a nice option.

Or a co-operation between the two major sites, if author uploads addon to curse, forward to wow-interface for approval and vice versa so both sites have them.

Both sites are great add-on sites, and the community loves you both.
The option for a one-stop hosting regime for developers, a place where they can upload their addons to both Curse and WoW Interface, would be a boon for many developers. But it'll never happen.

The main reason is due to competition.

Curse want you to use their website. ZAM want you to use WoW Interface. They are the two major addon suppliers currently and there's no real need for any other (other sources exist but the two mentioned are the biggest).

Simply put: Curse wants you to upload your addons to their site, and WoW Interface wants you to do the same to theirs. They have no qualms if you decide to upload to both but it's much more beneficial to them if you don't.