View Single Post
03-23-09, 03:37 AM   #320
Blueliner
A Defias Bandit
I see the addition of these guidelines to be a sort of legal protection for all parties involved. The way I look at it is like this...

Blizzard has been known to "adopt" add-on and incorporate them into their own UI, regardless of how bad a job they do at it. (Is there anyone out there that remembers that WoW shipped with one action bar, no combat text,no quest tracker, and no raid frames? :P )

For arguments sake, let's say that Blizzard decided to implement their own version of an add-on similar to carbonite. What would happen to carbonite? There would more than likely be grounds for law-suits against and on-behalf of the makers of Carbonite and Blizzard. The same could be said if Blizzard had decided to no longer allow Carbonite's functionality.

I also wanted to throw out there that it has been a long standing policy of blizzard that they do not allow people to charge for additions to their games. Although, the terms were more focused on map authors for Warcraft and Starcraft. The policy has just been re-worded to fit within WoW's framework.