View Single Post
07-25-12, 08:58 PM   #5
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
<snip>
I fear that if a particular type of licensing is enforced, then authors who disagree with it may simply go elsewhere to upload their AddOns.
I'm pretty sure this will never happen, but I would be one of such authors. WoWMatrix's shenanigans a few years back effectively put an end to many authors' use of GPL or CC or similar licenses - and there's threat of another "AddOn site" starting up; someone has been poaching authors via PMs on here and Curse, asking for permission to distribute their AddOns and then appending "failure to reply will be taken as permission". Sorry, I don't think so.

Besides, many of the older AddOns need to die quietly and/or be replaced by new incarnations - simply being popular does not equate to efficient (in terms of FPS) or elegant (in terms of usability). I've written a few replacement AddOns, myself, when I had need for something that was either dead or made me want to gouge my eyes out with an olive fork after looking at the code.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.